Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hamlet On Skull

2) Hamlet  On  Skull.

Hamlet picks  up  the  skull of  a    Debtor and  delivers  a  cant.
This  looks  like   the frail, thin man’s  skull,
 the   frequent borrower in  distress,
in   dire necessity, ostentation  not.
This  is the  skull  of   the  debtor,
His  skull  as  corrugated   as his skill  in dodging,
Fie  upon this  frequent  borrower,
Who  encashed  upon  my  leniency, my    good will,
My friendship, our class   room days.
How  much of  currency,  blank cheques,
Failed  to return  till   his  bones  turn into
Guilt corroded conscience, his  skull  stares,
Speaks ,vouchsafes  his  failure  turned  inability.
Perhaps he  did not  know  Shakespeare’s   dictum
“Neither a  borrower  nor  a   lender  be”.
The same holds  good  for  me  too, for  I too
Nourished  his  pockets ,cherished  his purse,
Compelled   by commiseration, and  softness.
How  often   approached  his  hearth,
But  turned  down  with pleas  unwarranted.
Falsified  statements, no attempts made to
return   my  goodness ,my  coffers   are  turned empty.
This  is  the   trickster’s    world,  drove  me 
to a  realization, that  is  almost  an  adage,
good is oft interred with  the bones.
Hamlet  now walks off  the stage.


No comments: