Friday, April 25, 2008

Dont ask

Don’t ask

When her three year old son plays
In the water when it rains,
Paper boat is the child’s excitement,
the caring mother chides not to
go near the water,
“ why mummy?”
don’t ask questions, the mother replies,
you will get ill.


when he is in ten,
when she takes him to a party,
she cautions him not to go
near the ice-cream side,
he pleads mummy, mummy, he pleads,
“Why? Mummy?”
Don’t ask questions, she pats him
With a firm admonition,
You will not be able to sit for
the half-early examination
if you have cough and sneeze.

When he is fifteen, the curious
asks the mother, who is that
aunt? is she dad’s girl friend,
who gets a a lift back home?
She nods her face, yes she
Is your dad’s office friend,
Don’t ask silly questions
any more, she replies.


When he is twenty, the mother asks
the son, my child, who is the girl
who chats with you for hours
together my I know?

Don’t ask me questions, mom,
I am grown up and can take
Care of myself and my future.

No comments: