Sunday, December 10, 2006

Hunger, when I was only ten

Hunger, when I was only ten

I was, young, ten, tender, ten only,
Not old enough to know the travails of
Poverty,
Hunger ate me alive,
When I starved hunger ate me alive,
I ran home from the school,
Ran faster than my body could sustain,
gulping water from the street tap,
The speed was breathless, speechless,
Straight ran into the kitchen,
To see the firewood was drenched,
For the thatched roof was leaky,
As if to shed tears for the desperate,
I, helpless, curled up in a corner,
Cursing my existence,
Befriending the cute kitten.

1 comment:

niceMENON said...

a tender touch...
it depicts ...the lost childhood ...
deprivation...
when one has to be 'playful'...
ebbing with joys of innocence...
but you are immersed in 'harsh realities of hunger...

it (poem)takes you to realms of harsh realities...hunger and..anguish...

I felt a oneness...with the content...

sivanagam.blogspot.com
nicearabia@gmail.com