Sunday, November 27, 2005

Bracelet

It was an ancient temple precinct
of high vaulted ,oily roofs,cracks and cleavages,
the cement floors which bore the brunt of coconut shell as offerings
a custom of religiosity,
a time-honoured ritual,relegated.
The smoky smell of camphor and candlewick,
the glitter of candlebra coaxes but not chokes.

I rolled down as a fulfillment of my vow,
in tune with the sacred uttrences of the priest,
the plantain leaved sweet pudding and rice
immersed in ghee with cashew nut tempt to end my vow.

How often we have visited bare-footed the local temple
braving the stones and stubbles,
the temple was the local simple emblem of the town
the sole gift a congregation for many,
not minding the distance and climbing the steps up and down.

When I tumbled, your kind hand reached me and protected,
we conversed on domestic functions, Cared for religious ceremonies.
You gifted me with a bracelet, a token of our long-standing friendship,
The coral and pearl bracelet riveted and jingled,
The coral and pearl bracelet riveted and jingled,
It was a gift kissing my veins, pierced the thews and sinews.

The coral and pearl bracelet befriended the talisman,
tied by my grandmother who was struggling for survival,
I rushed home to see my grandmother,
It was her last breath which mocked the tanjore plate on the wall,
The oak elephant and the carpet on the marble floor,
The house which she nourished and cherished.
She lived a life of dignity and serenity,
The bracelet befriended the talisman.

No comments: